Thursday, July 12, 2012

employed and bored=long post

In case anyone cares or was wondering about the theme of my blog, here is the talk by President Thomas S Monson that inspired my daily search for joy in my journey.Finding Joy in the Journey, President Thomas S Monson, October 2008 I love this talk and felt inspired to start finding and recording the joyful things I see in my days when I read it recently.

Tuesday I started my new job...that's right I am finally employed! It's not the dream...at least I don't think. I have had some fun looking at voting data in a project the other day...ok that sounded super nerdy. My political geography class and all the crazy data projects I did in undergrad are actually paying off. Yay! Maybe it's not so far from the dream as I thought.... we shall see.

JOYs:

  • pondering/meditating/thinking (whatever you want to call it)... I have had time lately to think about many things: about my priorities, my relationship with the Lord, my goals/dreams, my desires, my struggles, my weaknesses....the list goes on. I appreciate these opportunities to ponder and reflect. It's not easy to think about these things as they usually require some sort of introspection and work, but definitely worth the effort. I highly recommend taking the time to think, not about what you have to do that day, or about your bills, nothing that would induce stress. That would be counterproductive. But instead, think about something you want to improve in the world, then try to make plans to put it into action. Or ponder on something you would like to improve or augment in your own character. Think about why you chose your current job/profession, does it still apply? Think about any weaknesses or struggles you may have, do they affect your daily life? Do you ever wonder why you could possibly have those weaknesses? What could you learn from them? (just a couple thoughts..) Then write it down, it is fascinating what you find out about yourself through reflection and the action of writing down those thoughts.
  • Spanish...I love walking down the street and randomly hearing people converse in Spanish. (and yes there are still a bunch of Latinos here in DC) It just fills my heart with warm fuzzies. Funny story though: many people make fun of me for my Spanish-isms, voice inflection, accent, etc., but I guess it never occurred to me how much it affects my English until today when I said "you learn things new every day." Ummm...yeah that's not English. It totally sounded right to me (and still kinda does) until I thought about it. Spanish is just more efficient to my brain now. Don't laugh until you speak another language fluently. 
  • Utah...yes one of my Joys lately has been Utah. I appreciate that almost everyone out here has some connection to Utah- either they went to school there, they have family there, they lived there, whatever it may be. Here, in DC of all places, ALL the Mormons have connections to Utah. So I admittedly have missed all the comforts and familiarities out there. And all my great people out there. I am definitely not in Utah anymore.
  • People...I LOVE PEOPLE. I love talking to them, being around them, learning from them, learning about them. I appreciate listening to them very much, so if I ever ask you a question, PLEASE elaborately respond, and feel free to keep talking.
  • diversity...i very much appreciate diversity in thought, culture, religion, language, nationality, etc. And I appreciate those who recognize it as a positive in this world.
  • Parks...thanks to whoever invented urban parks. I very much appreciate having a place outside to sit and enjoy fresh air, sunshine, for a break when I'm stuck inside at a desk all day.
I just realized this is a long post, without even any pics to add length/content. So props to you if you are still reading. I don't have too much going on at work yet, so just chillin...and getting paid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment