those who know me know how much I dislike waking up early. I like my sleep. A lot. And i am something of the opposite of a morning person. So when I had to be at work an hour early this morning...I was not super excited about it. But I got up and miraculously made it to the bus on time. Somehow I actually get up on time better when I have to wake up earlier...perhaps my mind worries that I won't get up on time and thus does not allow my body to even entertain the idea of snoozing past my alarm.
So I was less than thrilled to be a part of the early morning commuters, which were few, especially given that today is Friday. As I got on the yellow line I actually was grateful for the lack of commuters as it meant I could sit down on the metro, which never happens, thus saving me from another mishap like last week in which I was standing between the wall of the train and 3 other bodies on one side and a sitting passenger on the other...and when the train lurched to a sudden stop, in my tired haze I lost my footing and fell on the sitting passenger....add that to the list of embarrassing DC moments. Somehow they happen here more often.
Anyhow, back to this morning....as the train came out of the tunnel to go over the bridge across the Potomac, I looked over my fellow commuters' heads to see the most beautiful sunrise over the Potomac. The cold morning sky was streaked with thin, ice-laden wisps of clouds all running parallel to the horizon, bending the light from the rising sun to cast pink and yellow and orange rays on the calm waters of the river. It was beautiful! I wish I could've taken a pic but at the risk of looking like a tourist (when I have clearly departed from that group :) I opted to just sit back and soaked in the gorgeous view. It was like a little morning present at 7:15am for this non-morning-lover.
In other good thoughts...I just recently noticed how good are the lyrics to the not-so-new song by Katy Perry, "Firework." I actually don't like most of her music as it is very overplayed and sometimes contains questionable material. However, I heard "Firework"the other day after shunning it for quite sometime as it was played a bagillion times a year or so ago, and actually listened to the lyrics. Here's a sample:
You don't have to feel like a waste of space
You're original, cannot be replaced
If you only knew what the future holds
After a hurricane comes a rainbow
Maybe the reason why all the doors are closed
So you could open one that leads you to the perfect road
Like a lightening bolt, your heart will blow
And when it's time, you'll know
Ok I know it's not Emerson or Thoreau, but I liked it. It made me wish I had a teenage daughter to inspire with the message, cuz I know I would have loved hearing this as a teenage girl.
So let your colors and light shine! We are unique and that is perfect. And good things are always on the horizon...just can't see them yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment