friday we went to the National Cathedral to listen to the Messiah. yes I was in heaven. seriously... the Messiah will be sung in heaven and i will be able to enjoy it every moment. and yes I had an epiphany. as I was listening to the music sung by the soloists, followed by the choir, I felt a distinct difference when the choir started singing. there was such a sweet spirit when the choir sang (besides the fact that they were amazing!!) that contrasted greatly with the individual solo performances. perhaps because the choir members were not trying to out sing one another, but were humbly trying to blend and listen to their fellow singers...as opposed to the soloists who proudly belted our their parts and gladly took center stage....somehow in spite of their obvious immense talent and experience, their parts were not as moving or touching. the choir, as each person gave way to the other next to them and each section blended with the others, was more powerful and poignant as one body, with all the voices working together and submitting to the music and the benefit of the whole. perhaps this could mirror/have applications in life...something to think about. (ps: i think that might be what heaven might be like...just a thought)
in other news...the Washington DC Temple Visitor's Center is all decked out for the annual Festival of Lights. it is stunning. if you are in the DC area,.. or even if you are not, go and see! http://dctemplelights.lds.org/ every night they have different performers give free concerts to celebrate the Christmas season. when I lived out here for my internship, I was part of an institute choir that sang at the visitor's center, and it was a great experience.....and secretly I have been wanting to perform again this year....well ladies and gents: secret wishes do come true. I will be performing there with a choir group next week. kinda excited. :)
funny story: I think I have realized my optimal workout time is in the late afternoon, between 3-6pm. I realize this because yesterday after cleaning and getting some things done I looked outside and was delighted to see that it was not only partly sunny, but also not freezing.....which obviously means time for a run! so off I went, and happily enjoyed running outside again after having to force myself to run at the gym on a treadmill for the past couple weeks due to early sunsets and cold evening temps. when I came back, I was still so pumped that I decided to add some strength and proceeded to work out for another 40 minutes...and honestly felt so great I probably could have kept going....well...not feeling as great today. haha. darn these muscles and tendons that get sore and tired. someday I will have a perfected body that will never get sore or hurt....this is what keeps me going. yay for the resurrection!
to add to the randomness of this post....I am SO glad I got a flu shot this year. usually I don't because...ok I'll admit I don't like needles. but this year I did since they were offering free shots at work and my coworkers were all going down to get them and saying things like "you can't work in the global health bureau and not get a flu shot." so I did it. (peer pressure does have positive effects at times...hopefully I only give into the good times) and as yet I have not gotten sick, even tho it seems like everyone else is......knock on wood. so I am promoting the flu shot as a living witness.
No comments:
Post a Comment