apparently the ambien I took has worn off because I can't sleep. it's 3:30am... Johannesburg time. I went to bed at 10 very tired and fully expecting to sleep through the night....no such luck. and I'm starving. my poor body doesn't know if it's supposed to be tired or hungry or what time of the day it is. i kinda felt like I was stuck in the belly of a 777 whale for 20 hours....i got in and it was sunday evening in georgia, i got out to be greeted by the sunny warm evening of Johannesburg. somewhere in between passed a night, but I didn't really see it...crazy. my poor body has been through a lot these past 24 hours-planes are not super comfortable for extended periods of time in case you were wondering. but we're hanging in there, mostly just happy to be here...in South Africa!
all I can hear are the constant buzz of the cicadas and the occasional creak of the ac unit. It is wonderfully warm here in South Africa. not the muggy, oppressive heat of the east coast or the blasting, searing heat of the high desert, but instead its like a constant warm blanket of air-pleasant and fresh, even after the sun has gone to bed.
The countryside reminds me of California-gentle rolling hills, covered by golden grasses, large trees, some which I have never seen before, interspersed with familiar palms and bushes.
The sun is big and bright making for most beautiful sunsets! I have missed the sunsets of the west so much, I think I might be in danger of falling in love with the sunsets of South Africa.
I think my tired eyes are ready to close again...lets see if they will stay that way for a little while longer :)

No comments:
Post a Comment