Thursday, August 1, 2013

i like food

...it's true. perhaps I like it more because of the way I feel after eating. my body does this crazy thing where it gets super cranky at me when I haven't eaten in a few hours. and I mean like can't walk, can't think, head pounding, no energy, weakness and numbness everywhere. i feel SO much better after I eat. it's really annoying sometimes. but it's my body and it's the only one I've got so I've leaned to deal with it. sometimes I feel bad that it affects others but through this I've learned about those who truly care about me and about allowing others the opportunity to serve me. 
so back to eating....it makes my body super happy so I like doing it. and I like eating a variety of things. I love Latino food, indian food, thai food, italian food, steak, pizza, fruit, sandwiches, avocado, hamburgers, ice cream, French fries, bread, bacon, chocolate, zucchini, tacos....the list could go on!
 I frequently see people engaging in fad diets such as carb-free, lean-protein, dairy-free, sugar-free, etc. every year there's a new diet. every year there's a new theory on health and nutrition.  
if you look at the list of my fav foods you might think that I eat crappy, but ask my family and they think I eat über healthy. I wouldn't say I eat super healthy or poorly, but that I eat everything in moderation. I don't think God gave us the need to consume protein to avoid enjoying a good burger every now and then. I don't think he made carbs the building blocks of our cells and then have us not eat them. our bodies need nourishment found in food. that is how they were created and who am I to mess with the creator of all things?
according to some standards of beauty and health Im not considered thin, and many people have told me I should lose some weight. but I am happy and I feel good about my body and how it feels. my body needs nourishment and my heart likes chocolate so I don't feel bad about not eating a salad or fat free yoghurt for lunch every day. in fact I find it almost silly that women are expected to eat that way. sometimes my female coworkers think me strange for not ordering a salad when we go out to lunch. first of all, this body of mine needs certain nutrients at each meal that are not found in most salads, second I get bored eating the same thing every day, third I like enjoying what I eat! 
yes eating healthy and balanced meals is important, but I don't think eating pizza one night or ice cream every now and then is going to kill you prematurely or make you unhealthily obese. 
instead of counting calories or starving to shed 2 pounds, let's focus on being happy with who we are and what we have. lets teach kids to eat when they're hungry and not when they aren't. lets remember that our bodies aren't machines but are like ecosystems that require certain inputs and balances to thrive. lets focus on caring for these amazing gifts that God gave us to experience life, instead of punishing them for certain natural tendencies or cultural norms. every body is mortal and has its own weaknesses and deficiencies as well as unique strengths and characteristics. 
your body is a gift from God and you will live with it forever in the next life. learn to love it and care for it and you will be so much happier now and forever. 

1 comment:

  1. Grandma Helen will turn 91 this September. Sometimes I think, "Geez! where does she get her energy?!" I'm 49 years old and I can't last 2 hours in the yard, hoeing and raking...while she gets out early and works until she feels like she's gonna faint, which is usually too long if I'm not calling or helping her in her tasks. Then it dawned on me. Grandma has never been one to eat like many people in my generation have eaten. Each morning is a well-balanced medly of protein, fruits and grains...a small lunch and dinner and moderate snacks when she feels the need to fill the gap. Lots of water all day and she never stays sedentary for long. When Moses led his people out of Egypt, I don't think they stopped at In-N-Out when they got tired of manna and quail. I've been constantly rethinking my family's diet, since I've faced to necessity of homeschooling. It just so happens that my child has the most difficult time completing her assignments, after having waffles for breakfast. But when she's had a bowl of oatmeal and some strawberrries, she zips right through those math pages like they were waffles! After a one year battle with chronic-fatigue that nearly convinced me that my days were numbered, I learned that I could change my health, my mind and my future by simply adopting natural eating habits. After learning about the plethora of harmful elements that are added to almost everything we buy, I was sold. I'm now gradually purging our home of "junk" food-I mean processed, packaged and many other foods which you'd never suspect can harm you. Reading labels has become mandatory as I shop. I've taught my youngest that eating natural is a great way to feel great and do great in school. She's gung-ho...except she still likes waffles. It's gonna be a slow process, but I already have beat the fatigue & I feel great Now to just get into a disciplined exercize routine. When you hit 40, something's gonna click. Don't wait that long. God has shown me..."If it ain't the way I made it, what's good about it?" My body is a temple, I'd like to prevent it from becoming a ruin. A burger now and then...yeah I still do that. M'I bad.

    ReplyDelete