Monday, September 30, 2013

it's a love story....part one

so here's the story everyone has been waiting for...

during a cold and wet February, I was feeling a particular need to escape the craziness of Washington. my friend, Chris (happy now Chris?), invited me down to Richmond for a visit and to participate in a singles activity down there. it being a holiday weekend, I thought sure, why not? so I drove down, anticipating nothing except dancing, visiting my dear friend in charlottesville, and going for a bike ride. 

the evening started simple enough with a bit of socializing and mocktail drinks. and then they instituted the forced "speed dating" portion of the activity which I was ignorant of prior to arriving. I was there to dance and that was all. 

but I reluctantly joined in the matching up in support of my friend with thoughts of the time passing quickly until the music started. 

I dutifully chatted with each guy that passed my way, answering and asking silly questions. there happened to be two latin guys in the group, one from Mexico and one from Guatemala. they stood out obviously, or rather I stood out, because in both conversations it came up that I spoke Spanish and I chatted with both a bit in Spanish. 
after the rounds of speed dating, I strutted out to the gym, ready to get to the best part of the night (ie: dancing). no sooner had I gotten a good spot when the Mexican guy came up and began to talk to me quite a bit. 

all the while I noticed the guy from Guatemala hanging around a bit. it kinda looked like he wanted to talk to me but I was a bit consumed with trying to kindly extraciate myself from the other guy's presence in order to dance.
 I finally was successful and then was able to enjoy the music. and then the guy from Guatemala made his way to my side, more than once in fact. and it was a great contrast talking with him after the other guy. like a breath of fresh air...or latino air. :) we danced, talked, laughed. it felt really good to be around him. he was so nice and funny and easy going, and persistent! as he then asked for my number. I was pleasantly surprised although not really expecting much to come of it. 

but then the next day he texted me. and then kept texting me! and calling me. he asked me when he could call, and he actually called when he said he would!! miracle!

our first date was to the DC temple, which of course I enjoyed...going to the temple and all. the thought occurred to me that this could either be a really good sign or....well to be honest a really scary sign. 

it struck me that day that he was a perfect gentleman. and maybe too good to be true-- he calls when he says he will, is respectful, goes to the temple, serves in the church, drives all the way up to DC to see me, tells me I'm wonderful....I kept waiting for a catch.

 well there never turned out to be a catch because the past 6-ish months if my life have been the most wonderful time getting to know this amazing man. he has such a good heart and would do anything for me. I love being with him-laughing with him (which we do a lot), talking with him, serving with him. it never gets old. 

1 comment:

  1. Okay, can I just say...I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS STORY!! I am in love with your love. That's weird. Oh well.

    SO HAPPY FOR YOU ALICIA!!! Oh man, I can't wait for you guys to visit Utah one day. And I can't wait to see your babies. Ending creepy comments *now*.

    ReplyDelete