i was sitting at home on a Friday night, fixing a skirt and missing my guatemalan man, expecting not to see him till saturday as usual. when all of a sudden he tells me he's on his way up to DC. best surprise number one.
we had been wanting to go on a bike ride ever since he got a bike, so he brought his bike up and asked me where I wanted to go the next morning. i had been really wanting to go up to Harper's Ferry, West Virginia, for a while (don't ask me why). so we went!
we found the national park area and were pleasantly surprised when miraculously it was a fee free day! (Heavenly father really wanted us to be there we decided :) )
so we parked the car, jumped on our bikes, and made the very hilly ride down to the town of Harper's Ferry.
it was kinda busy but we walked our bikes to the overlook where the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers meet. it was beautiful, although a bit of an overcast day. we crossed the Potomac on the old railroad bridge and parked our bikes with the bazillion others there.
the C&O canal trail winds along the Potomac so we thought to venture along it. he saw a open spot of the river bank so we stopped there to enjoy the view of the two great rivers merging under the steeples of the town. it was so gorgeous and peaceful.
there was a weathered tree that had been bent to form a natural bench. I hopped up and perched on it for a bit while we enjoyed the view, took some pictures and blissfully (and I ignorantly) chatted. with him telling me how happy he was and being his typical romantic self (si amor, te digo que eres romántico)
some people strolled down to enjoy the view also so I hopped down from my perch momentarily. when the passers-by continued on their way, he asked me if I wanted to sit on the tree again. I laughed a bit and asked if he was really asking me if I wanted to sit on the tree or if he was asking me to sit there again. he smiled and said when he asks that it means he wants me to sit up on the tree. :) (yes I can read him like a book)
so I jumped up onto the branch again and chuckled at this silly man that had captured my heart. he asked me how much I loved him and I laughed a bit again knowing how many times I had told him how much I love him. but I humorously responded that I couldn't count how much I loved him, to infinity. (this is our fun game- one asks the other how much he/she misses or loves the other and they respond with some ridiculous distance or quantity)
he then told me to close my eyes cuz he had another question to ask me. I dutifully closed my eyes as he pestered me to keep them closed until he was satisfied that I wasn't peeking. then he asked me if I would marry this silly, poor, crazy, in love man. I happily said I would as I smiled with closed eyes. he told me to open my eyes and there in front of me was a sparkly gold ring. I swear it appeared out of nowhere! (note we had just biked 4ish miles up and down the crazy hilly streets of harpers ferry. no idea where it was hidden-inside the box!- that whole time) i was speeches for a total of 12 seconds as he put the ring on my finger and put his arms around me.
I thought I would cry or jump up and down or launch into a chatter-fest, but instead I was so content and blissfully happy that I just silently smiled in between bursts of random giggles. in fact I couldn't stop smiling as we walked along the trail. he kept asking me why I would start giggling randomly every few minutes or so and I told him I was just so happy! happily thinking about being married to him.
the trail and rivers seemed to be the perfect metaphor for the moment....2 rivers merging into one, just like 2 lives coming together....us walking along the trail like beginning journeying through life together. I was telling him about the canal and the trail, how they go all the way down to DC--almost to the end of the world! I said. he said do you want to walk to the end of the world with me? and I said yes I did very much, except maybe not that day cuz I was hungry. :) well, he said, we have our whole lives now to do it. (awwww...yes he's the best)
so I ended the perfect day with the perfect moment, with my perfect person.
(my apologies if there is too much cheesiness in this post. I blame it on being in love...especially with a suave Latino man. :) )
The only people who would think this is cheesy are people who are not in love! LOVE THIS!
ReplyDelete